Sunday, January 2, 2011

Baby Album Refurb

This is my most recent, and one of my best projects.  I was helping my mom clean when I came across my baby album.  It was a pretty standard picture album, with the sticky pages for photos, which in this case, had turned yellow/brown and were losing their stickiness.  Keep in mind that the album is 25 years old. 

So I asked my mom if I could have it, in anticipation of making a kick ass scrapbook, preserving the pictures, and ditching the old album.   The pictures that follow are the result.  I think it turned out awesome!  I love the polaroids and my mom's notes.  I think they add so much character!

I guess I should also provide a bit of context about my birth, before you start looking at the pictures.  I was born on August 11, 1985, almost three months premature.  I weighed 2 lbs., 3 oz., and was in the hospital, in the neonatal intensive care unit, for four months.  The album chronicles the early days of my life, along with spending Halloween in the hospital, and finally, Thanksgiving at home.

For those who weren't aware of this, I am sure the context helps.  But for those in my family, just looking at the scrapbook I created, brought back a flood of memories from that time.  

The picture on the front cover was taken when I was around five months old.  Apparently everyone at the photo studio didn't believe I was five months old.  They thought I was a newborn.  My mom also tells me that she thinks I look like ET in some of these pictures.  It's a good thing I still don't look like that now, huh?

So I took an old album and gave it a second life.  This is a fabulous way to give your memories new meaning.  Get them out of a dreary, plain album, and put them into a colorful and engaging scrapbook. 

The only thing is that the jury is still out on who should have custody of this album, my mom or me...

(This is an 8 by 8 album)





















No comments:

Post a Comment